Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Who Doesn't Love a Comic?

There are lots of comic-making tools available to use with your students. Consider how creating comic strips in your class can promote creativity, storytelling, conversation, collaboration, and reading and writing skills. Bitstrips for Schools is part of the Bitstrips site. This component allows teachers to set up a class site. At the site,  students not only create comics, but also view one another's comics and write replies.

Check the site, specifically the Bitstrips for Schools, and set up a class account when you're ready. Experiment first yourself with the site, creating a comic strip you want to share with your class. Your students can view it on the website, or once you start a class blog, you can embed your creation there, as I am here. Use the arrow keys to move through the panels.




You can also do a screen capture and display the full comic as an image.



In the meantime, I've set up a class account, so just let me know when you want to start experimenting, and I'll give you the access code.






3 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea to engage my "non" readers and get a simple idea across. I am also experimenting with the idea of showing classroom routines. Seeing as it's almost March maybe it will be a great refresher for those students who have already "forgotten" what is expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a great idea! I have a 5th grader who hates to write but loves to illustrate! I think he would love doing this. It gives him a window to tell story through artistic means. Very creative, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing about bitstrips, I will have to look more into it, looks really cute and fun!

    ReplyDelete